A Dublin Airport baggage handler has resolved a claim brought against his employer for two electric shocks he sustained while performing his job in 2009. Patrick Kemmy from Blanchardstown was attempting to connect an electric cable to a Boeing 737 aircraft when he was shocked twice.
The accident left Patrick with a tingling sensation in his right arm – which he still experiences intermittently to this day. He also suffered from headaches, neck pains and a shortness of breath. Patrick has missed work nine or ten times due to the injury.
The shock was caused by an ingress of water into the electric cable, which he claimed had not be properly maintained by the Dublin Airport Authority and Servisair. Despite denying liability, the parties engaged with Patrick to settle his claim out of court shortly before the action was expected to be brought before the High Court.